Annapurnas Day 15: The Cherry Of The Cake

It was 4:30 am when I tied the laces of my trekking shoes, placed some new batteries in my head lamp and took my loyal stick. A French-speaking Nepali guide amused his group at the dinning room when Bodo, Benny and me left the lodge. It was dark, very dark, and we didn't know the way to Poon Hill so we decided to go inside again and wait for a guided group to take off. This didn't take long, 5 minutes later the first convoy departed. 45 minutes later we arrived to Poon Hill (3200 m). By then we had overtaken almost all the trekkers which set us in the 'pole position' for the upcoming show.

Poon HillAfter taking a few photos of the still shady mountains the team split. The Germans took refuge from the freezing wind while I decided to find a lonely spot on my own. Good decision, the forthcoming 30 minutes would carve my wooden journal of memories for the rest of my life.

The show started at 6:28, when the first sun beams hit the Nilgiri peak. As if arranged, Angelo Badalamenti's most famous piece reached climax in perfect synchrony with the curtain of light that advanced over the Himalayan ridge. One by one, all the members of the Annapurna family saluted the tourist cameras. I'm guessing this because I couldn't see any of them from My Spot. This concert lasted for about half an hour, after that I wiped my tears of emotion and went to meet the Germans.

We had breakfast back in Ghorepani and started the last walk by nine. As we went down the 2200 m that separated Ghorepani and Nayapul I could only think about the perfection of this tale's end. I guess none of us really cared about the million stairs left behind, nor the collection of beautiful villages, nor the roaring waters of the Khali Ghandaki, we were too excited about completing the circuit.

At 15:12 of that 22nd of March we arrived to Nayapul (1050 m) putting an end to 15 days of climbs, blisters, cold showers, apple pies, namastes, and laughs. I suppose after a few months I will only remember these last things (good ones) which would certainly be a pity. I strongly believe so. This great experience can only be fully understood if one tries to make the best of every single step on the trek regardless of how hard it might seem. That's what I did -or at least- what I tried to do. To remember this and especially to honour Bodo and Benny for their amazing company I've written the Chroniques of the Annapurnas. Guys, I hope you enjoyed it!


Eran las 4 de la mañana cuando ataba los maltrechos cordones de mis botas por ultima vez. Tome mi palo y mi linterna y baje al comedor para reunirme con los demas. Nos apresuramos a comenzar el camino hacia Poon Hill sin darnos cuenta de que ninguno de nosotros sabia el camino. Con tal oscuridad no queriamos correr riesgos, volvimos al hotel y esperamos a que alguno grupo con guia partiese. Al poco tiempo un grupo de franceses salio y nosotros fuimos a su rueda. Serian sobre las 5 y media cuando coronamos Poon Hill (3200 m). Alli, busque un rincon solitario y me prepare para disfrutar del espectaulo. Durante media hora uno tras otro todos los miembros de la familia Annapurna fueron recibiendo al Sol de la mañana. Era precioso, mejor aun con la musica clasica que escuchaba en mi MP3.
Tras el espectaculo bajamos a desayundar y de alli reemprendimos camino. 2200 metros de peldaños que pasaron casi sin darnos cuenta. Estabamos demasiado ocupados pensando en que pronto llegariamos a Nayapul y completariamos el circuito. Esto sucedio a las 15:12 de aquella tarde. En aquel momento pusimos final a dos semanas de palizas, duchas frias, ampollas, tartas de manzana y risas. Supongo que con el tiempo solo recordare estas ultimas, lo cual seria una pena porque la unica manera de disfrutar realmente de este camino es sacando lo mejor de todos y cada uno de los acontecimientos que se desarrollan en el. Para no olvidarme de ninguno y sobretodo, en honor a Bodo y Benny, he escrito estas Cronicas de los Annapurnas. Espero que os hayan gustado.

2 comments:

Patatita said...
April 12, 2009 at 12:42 PM

Ese Iniaki!!

Estaba yo sentado a la puerta de mi casa en el pueblo robando fuifi de la farmacia con este triste portatil sin enie cuando han pasado tus padres y me han contado que estabas en Nepal! Menuda aventura.

Por cierto, no se si te han comentado que he montado una pagina para la penya, por si te apetece entrar y comentarnos algo, subir alguna foto o lo que se te ocurra. La direccion es www.idealeslossantos.com.

Un saludo

Carlos

Anonymous said...
April 28, 2009 at 5:57 AM

Hi Iniaki,

absolutely loved the Chroniques of the Annapurnas.
Hope you'll enjoy South East Asia as much as I did!!

your team mate and fellow mountaineer,

Benny

Post a Comment