Islander Day 1: New Getaria

From Day 1 on I decided to keep a castaway's diary in which I logged my daily routine. Hereafter I'll publish the entries as can be found in the written version:

Islander mapI'm writing these lines by the fireside at my beach camp in New Getaria. I named this beach and the two neighbouring ones after the Spanish beaches that witnessed some of the best days of my youth.

Last night I slept smooth like a baby. I guess I was too tired to bother the roaring sounds of the jungle. This morning I woke up floating on sweat. The plastic poncho that I used as bottom sheet didn't allow any circulation from body to bed nor vice versa. Good, let's hope it stays that way.

Early in the morning I packed what I call the basic survivor kit and went down to the beach. I swam in the sea to wash my sweat off and completed the showering with a bath in the tiny pool of fresh water that I found yesterday. After that I set off to explore the shore. I went East, climbed some rocks and reached a new beach: New Zumaia. The strip of white sand runs for about 2 km before it reaches a mangrove area. I don't like mangroves (the characteristic layer of wet mud is home to some of the nastiest creatures I can think of) so I decided to head back West. Found some coconut palms (main objective of my morning expedition). However all of them were some 30 meters high and therefore I couldn't use the bamboo stick+knife technique that I learned in Paksong to pull the fruits down. Apart from the coconut palms I found some berries: small, tasteless and with no drop of juice. Useless. Back in New Getaria I hiked inland. About 100 meters from the abandoned bungalow I found more coconut palms. Goddammit! these guys are taller than the freaking Dutch volleyball player! It was lunchtime and I hadn't eaten anything since I arrived to this island so I decided to give a try to the old coconuts that lay on the ground. The "meat" felt like a boot's sole in my mouth but the juice tasted good.


In the afternoon I went to pick up some wood for the fire. I learnt my lesson yesterday so I put the smallest branches and leaves in one of the garbage bags of the survivor kit to keep them dry. I cut the big ones into smaller pieces and stored the lot in a conveniently located cave by the beach.


When the sun started its descent the tide got lower. I sat on the sand to check the island's voice mail. I had a message from Mother Nature. Up in the sky two sea eagles patrolled the rocks on the west side of the beach. I grabbed my pack and climbed some more rocks. Found another beach: New Zarautz. Gorgeous beach, the best of the three (as it is the case of the actual Zarautz). I closer look revealed what I was seeking. The sea eagles were fishing something at the far end of the beach. I walked there and found a clamp settlement but no fish (at easy reach). I dug holes for a while and found some clamps, not enough for a soup though.


bonfireWhen the sun set down I came back to my beach camp. Today I was decided to redeem last night's bonfire fiasco. I cleared a flat section of sand, brought the dry wood from the cave and stacked it up in order. Fingers crossed, first ball of fire... bsssss, smoke coming out... no, not again! shit! Ok, second attempt (this time adding some dry flurry straws). Smoke, blow, more smoke, blow, more white smoke, blow, sparkles, c'mon c'mon, blow... flame, yes, one last blow, YES, F*CK YES! I MADE FIRE! I know it's pretty lame, I used a lighter, but even then it was more difficult that one might think.

Tonight the sky doesn't offer the stunning view of yesterday. I reckon it's going to rain. Boy, one and a half day in this island and I haven't seen anyone. I'm hungry, let's grab some more coconut and another beer. This is going well. See you tomorrow, same place same time.




Tras mi primer dia completo en la isla decidi registrar mi rutina en un cuaderno de bitacora. He aqui la transcripcion literal del Dia 1:
Escribo estas lineas al calor de la horaguera de mi campamento en la playa que he bautizado como Getaria Berria. He elegido este nombre en homenaje a las playas Guipuzcoanas que tan buenos momento me han deparado.
Mi primera noche en el bungalow abandonado transcurrio sin sobresaltos. El cansancio acumulado me permitio dormir del tiron. Mas que nunca esta manana se me han pegado las sabanas. Tal vez sea porque el poncho-chubasquero que uso de sabana bajera transpira menos que un calzoncillo barnizado. He bajado a la playa y me he pegado un bano para quitarme el sudor de encima. La sesion de higiene personal concluyo en la pila de agua dulce que encontre ayer. Tras esto he preparado mi kit de supervivencia y me he lanzado a explorar la costa direccion este. Tras escalar unas rocas he descubierto una nueva playa: Zumaia Berria. Aproximadamente 2 kilometros de area blanca que desembocan en un manglar. No se si lo he mencionado anteriormente por si acaso aqui va otra vez: odio los manglares. Arbustos espinosos y barrizal, en otras palabras, un spa 5 estrellas para culebrillas, reptiles e insectos a lo makinavaja. Visto el percal me he dado la vuelta. 3 palmeras, demasiado altas para usar mi depurada tecnica de pertiga de bambu + cuchillo que aprendi en Paksong. De vuelta en Getaria Berria he estudiado el terreno que rodea el bungalow abandonado. Mas palmeras, misma historia. Joder, estos arboles son mas largos que una resaca de Martini! Nada, me he tenido que conformar con los cocos viejos que rodeaban la base del cocotero. La 'carne' es mas dura que un filete de 5 pesetas pero el jugo se deja beber.
Tras la comida he ido a cortar lena para la fogata. Ayer aprendi la leccion y no iba a dejar que la lluviera me aguara la fiesta esta vez. He recolectado ramas y hojas secas en una de las bolsas de basura de mi kit y luego he cortado lenos mas grandes que he puesto a buen recaudo en una cueviella cercana.
Hecha la labor me he sentado a descansar. He obserbado a mi alrededor a ver si alguien tenia algun mesaje para mi. En efecto, dos senoras aguilas de mar han respondido a la llamada. Mochila al hombro y segunda expedicion, esta vez direccion oeste. Tras otra sesion de escalada basica he llegado a una nueva playa: Zarautz Berria, la mas bonita de las tres (como en la Zarautz gipuzcoana). Las aguilas estaban pescando marisco y peces que habian quedado atrapados en las rocas por la bajamar. Y alli me he plantado yo, al mas puro estilo mejillonera do Rias Baixas con mi cuchillo y mi lata. Nada, un par de almejas que no han dado ni para una misera sopa.
La noche se me ha echado encima asi que he vuelto a mi campamento playero. Hora de la verdad, seria capaz de montar una hoguera esta noche? He sacado la lena de mi despensa improvisada y la he apilado de manera ordenada. Primer intento: bola de papel en la base del ninot, humo... ssssssss, fiasco! Segundo intento: ahi va la bola de papel otra vez... humo, soplido, humo blanco, soplido profundo, destellos de luz, trata de arrancarlo por Dios, trata de arrancarlo, columna de humo y... SI, J*DER SI, FUEGO!
Y asi es como he llegado a este momento: playa, fogata, cerveza, cuaderno y cielo parcialmente cubierto. Creo que va a llover. En un dia y medio por aqui no he visto ningun alma. Esto va bien, a ver como se me da manana!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...
August 29, 2009 at 5:35 AM

Increible! Espero que no te conviertas en el tipo ese de la tv que tampoco te gustaba!
no dejas de sorprenderme!
1 abrazo ultimate Injaki!

Ibai Zabaleta said...
August 31, 2009 at 12:14 AM

Iñaki, me alegro que estes viviendo tu Supervivencia particular. Un abrazo desde Madrid, donde Estefania y yo estaremos trabajando y viviendo.

Iñaki Merino Albaina said...
September 1, 2009 at 9:37 PM

Aupa xavales! Pozi,la aventurilla fue de las buenas. No obstante y como pretendo dejar claro al final de la historieta se trataba de un JUEGO, algo divertido y dentro de lo posible PLANIFICADO y SEGURO. Lejos queda cualquier intento de demostrar q soy un superhombre (eso estaba claro antes de empezar jajajaja) al estilo del flipao ese de la TV.
He aqui una razon para NO hacer el cabra:
http://www.diariodenavarra.es/20090809/navarra/supervivientes-pirineo-navarro.html?not=2009080901225993&idnot=2009080901225993&dia=20090809&seccion=navarra&seccion2=sociedad&chnl=10

Iñaki Merino Albaina said...
September 1, 2009 at 9:38 PM

Saludos a los expats en Madrid!

Post a Comment