Islander: Reflections & Considerations

My adventure in the island concluded happily the morning of Day 4 when some friends from DinDang came over for a visit. Although four days might not seem a very long time, the solitude of New Getaria and the continuous flow of events made those days some of the most instructive (and fun) of my young life. Hereafter a list of funny conclusions that I can draw from the experience:

Food:
Finding food in a tropical island -even if you are up to anything- is not an easy task. I reckon with a little bit more of experience I could manage to fish something bigger than crabs (on Day 4 I went fishing with one of my friends and we caught several decent-sized fish). The coconuts kept me running but on the third day I realized that my tummy doesn't like old-coconut juice (I'll spare the details). If you ever happen to see yourself confined in a tropical island after a shipwreck of similar, pray for a miraculous 7-Eleven, C1000, Eroski, Tesco or McDonalds (worst case scenario) around the corner!

Fresh water:
I got very lucky with water. I chose that beach, among other things, because of the spring of fresh water coming out of some rocks. Very convenient. It is important to remark that nobody should drink any water before tracking it down to its source. If you are in a truly deserted island there should be no contaminants (e.g. chemicals or cattle poo) in the water but just in case make sure this is true. If it tests positive you can always try digging up in search of some pirate's rum.

Shelter:
Once again I got lucky with the abandoned bungalow. Nonetheless I also found a list of strong contenders to replace my modest digs if necessary. A small cave, enough bamboo to build a small hut or even the improvised beach camp can suffice in a place where temperatures never drop below +20ºC. It's up to you and your skills but if time is on your side I'd go for the bamboo hut. Should that be the case do not forget to print my How To: Make Your Own Bamboo Table, a must in any castaway's library!

Tools:
Just one: a big inexpensive knife (unless you are given the choice of a satellite telephone).

Fire:

Lots have been said about fire in extreme situations. Most of it bullshit. Nowadays and provided the increasing amount of smokers it is fairly easy to find a lighter about anywhere. Moral: smoke! it can save your life.

Looks:
Being a wrecker doesn't mean that one cannot take care of their appearance. Or course not. Rambo-style bandanas, sleeveless shirts and dirty shorts would certainly increase your status among the islanders (I noticed that in Mr. ColaCao's eyes). I hope my castaway's fashion would serve as inspiration for future generations.

By now it should be clear that all this extreme survival game was nothing but a big joke. However and just for once I would turn serious to clarify something that has been disturbing some of my friends' and relatives' sleep over the last few weeks.

The biggest of the challenges during my time in the island was to manage the situation in responsible way. Although it might seem crazy at first, I can guarantee that the game had been planned carefully for weeks to avoid risks (to certain extent). Being isolated can be dangerous in itself. If something bad happens, even a small accident, it can have serious consequences. For that reason during my time in New Getaria I did never take any excessive risk such as climbing too high, swimming too far, eating suspicious-looking/smelling foods, etc. Moreover I made sure that my mobile phone had signal to allow one of my friends to check on my every night (+ I memorized the nearest emergency number). Finally and even though this will surely disappoint some of you I must admit that the island wasn't really deserted. Despite not interacting with them I knew of the presence of a few farmers and even some bungalow resort in the island. This facilitated help or food/water if desperately needed.

Three sentences to sum it up:
  • It was a game and games are meant to be fun.
  • I might be a little bit crazy but I am not stupid.
  • What the heck, it was one of the greatest experiences of my life!


Mi aventura en la isla concluyo felizmente la manna del dia 4 cuando mis amigos de Dindang vinieron de visita. Mas de tres dias en la isla en los que tuve la oportunidad de poner en practica unos cuantos trucos que siempre habia querido experimentar. He aqui una breve lista de recomendaciones estupidas (aunque ciertas) que he podido sacar de la experiencia:

Comida:
Encontrar comida - aunque no seas un morrofino - no es tarea facil. Creo que con un poco mas de practica hubiera sido capaz de pescar algo (la tarde que vinieron mis amigos fui de pesca con uno de ellos y pescamos algunos peces espada). Sin embargo los cocos fueron los que me mantuvieron en pie de guerra en la isla, y eso a pesar de que al tercer dia descubri que a mi tripita no le gusta el jugo de coco viejo (os ahorrare los detalles) Por ello, si te ves en la piel de un naufrago en una isla desierta, reza todo lo que sepas para que haya un Eroski o un McDonalds (en el peor de los casos) a la vuelta de la esquina.

Agua:
Tuve suerte con el agua. Elegi la playa, en gran medida, por el manantial de agua fresca que manaba de las rocas. No obstante he de recalcar que no es muy inteligente beber el primer agua dulce que te moje los tobillos. En mi caso trace todo el recorrido del manantial rio arriba para asegurarme de que no hubiera granjas (pesticidas o deshechos del ganado) que pudieran contaminar el agua fresca.

Refugio:
Tambien tuve suerte con la cabana abandonada. Sin embargo encontre unos cuantos candidatos a sustituirla: pequena cueva, bambu para montar una caseta improvisada, o el campamento en Nueva Getaria son algunos de ellos. Si el tiempo lo permite yo iria por la caseta de bambu, al fin y al cabo a estas alturas ya se como manejarme con
el bambu.

Herramientas:
Si alguien os pregunta que os llevariais a una isla desierta la respuesta es facil: un buen machete (a no ser que os ofrezcan un telefono satelite, claro esta).

Fuego:
Mucho se ha escrito sobre hacer fuego en condiciones extremas. Tonterias! hoy en dia y dada la creciente poblacion de fumadores deberia ser facil encontrar un mechero en casi cualquier parte. Moraleja: fuma! puede que te salve la vida.

Apariencia:
Ser un pobre naufrago perdido de la mano de Dios no esta para nada renido con el estilo y la clase (juas juas). Moda primavera/verano, muchas transparencias y sobretodo imaginacion. En fin, espero que los espertillos de Cibeles tomen nota de mis pintras de piltrafas.

Por ultimo, y ahora un poco mas en serio, me gustaria acabar esta parodia con una nota aclaratoria que espero devuelva la tranquilidad a familiares y amigos que pudieran haber sufrido serias dudas sobre mi (in)estabilidad mental.

El mayor de los desafios que encontre en la isla fue sin duda el manejar la situacion de manera responsable. Aunque pudiera parecer una idea estupida y descerebrada mi estancia en la isla habia sido planificada durante semanas para evitar cualquier riesgo -dentro de lo posible. Siendo consciente de que estar solo puede ser peligroso de por si mismo, en todo momento en la isla trate de limitar los riesgos al minimo. Esto se traduce en cosas como por ejemplo no subirse a rocas mas altas de lo debido, no nadar demasiado lejos o no meterse a la boca nada que pudiera parecer sospechosa, entre otros. Ademas de esto me asegure de que mi movil tuviera cobertura lo que me permitia mantener contacto todas las noches con uno de mis amigos en Dindang. Por ultimo y aunque pueda defraudar a parte de los lectores he de admitir que no estaba solo en la isla (seamos realistas, hoy en dia es dificil encontrar islas desiertas). A pesar de que no interactue con nadie mas durante mi experiencia, era consciente de la presencia de campesinos e incluso pequenos complejos de bungalows cerca de mi campamento. Esto me garantizaba comida/agua y ayuda en caso de que fuera realmente necesario.

En resumen, se trataba de un juego y los juegos se presuponen divertidos. Puede que este un poco tocado del ala, pero no soy tan estupido como para arriesgar el resto de mi viaje. Y por ultimo, que leches, me lo pase como un enano!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...
September 30, 2009 at 4:30 AM

Querido Inaki,
despues de un monton de tiempo sin ver a tu blog, te encuentro nuevamente feliz, y aun mas feliz si es posible y mas "experienced", y espero compartir pronto tu felicidad y tus cuentos.
I'm really proud of uou,fighetto! Yes, I already told you the same once, but you know i'm a romantic old fashioned friend.
Un abrazote y un besote,
cri la vaca loca

Post a Comment